Skip to main content

Self-Producing an EP Pt.4: Recording

We got to this point and as we'd done things the way we have, it wasn't really as cut-and-dry anymore where the demos ended and new recording sessions would begin. In the process of refining the demos, we'd recorded new tighter guitar and bass parts, and as the drums are programmed we just modified the midi to improve the demos. We considered re-recording the guitars but that seemed like a lot of work for no real gain. Some of the bass got recorded again but that was voluntary. Making the drums sound good was a bit different, that required moving to a different set of patches. EZDrummer is great and definitely serves it's purpose but sounded way too polished to be dropped in here. The input all stayed the same but we changed the patches around to find the sound we were looking for across all the instruments, and there was nothing more exciting to it than that.

Recording vocals however was going to require a bit more effort. The demo vocals weren't going to do, and they'd all need replacing. After a few experiments I opted for setting up my large condenser mic in a wardrobe that had been stuffed with pillows as insulation. The sound was clean enough and had the added benefit that I couldn't get too close to the microphone by mistake. After a few evenings of attempts I wasn't happy with and trying to do them piece by piece. I took a weekend and spent a couple of hours per track getting down 4-5 takes and comp'ing together the best take I could from each but not deleting any of the other takes on the off chance they were needed later. Around this point I experimented with triple tracking the parts in places where it was particularly heavy, to give it more depth. I couldn't quite make them sound right and I expect that's a combination of the mic placement and not being skilled enough to EQ out what I suspect was a lot of unnecessary frequencies building up to make it sound strange, so this idea got scrapped.

Things that were important:
  • Getting everything down in 2 sessions over 1 weekend helped with consistency.
  • Focussing on getting a decent comp and moving on stopped the on-going march of trying to improve them continuously.
Improvements:
  • It seemed like I'd had enough practise time to get it right, but I'd argue I definitely hadn't.
  • It might be a better idea to do this in a rehearsal or recording studio next time (ideally an actual studio, obviously) so things like volume levels aren't a concern when the neighbours are in. A proper studio has better suited mics, rooms and equipment and no noise concerns to worry about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructing a Trie in F#

This post might get a bit more context next week, but essentially, in continuation of looking at data structures in F# and C# I picked prefix trees (tries) as the next step. A trie is similar to a BST except the search is cumulative. A simple example would be building a spellchecker. The spell checker can use the structure to see if a word exists quickly and efficiently.

It works by creating a new node for each part of the word, using existing nodes if they're already in place. You can see in this diagram an example structure after an insertion of several words.

In the above diagram the words ANT, AND, BATS have been added into the data structure. You'll notice that the word BATS can also be the word BAT and that becomes a part of the structure, setting a value at each node to state if this is a place that a word terminates.

1 2 3 4// Node type for storing a trie. typeTrieNode=|Nodeofchar*TrieNodelist*bool|RootofTrieNodelist
I defined the type to have 2 options. The root node,…

A Docker Experiment

Containers are a topic that have been rising in occurrence for me, for the last year or so. From using them as part of the architecture at work or for various pet projects friends have been working on. I figured it was time to experiment myself and get to grips with what people have been talking about. It seemed like a good idea to find some introductory material that would give me an overview of its uses without delving too far into the details so I could see what it actually was, so I found a PluralSight course about Docker, specifically “Docker and Containers:The Big Picture”. This gave a nice overview of what Docker is, and more importantly what it was trying to achieve and how to use it. With a bit more of an understanding, I wanted to use it for something, preferably something familiar. I decided to try setting up ElasticSearch and Kibana containers, where Kibana would visualize the ElasticSearch data. I used bits of this article along the way as a guide, if you'd prefer a more…

Self-Producing an EP Pt.5: Mixing

After some discussion we opted to mix it ourselves for a few reasons.

It's our first EP, it's not going to be heard by a huge amount of people and while it's important that it sounds good, it's expensive to get done properly and we might be able to manage 'good enough' on our own with a lot of work.Mixing as an online service seems to be the main way to go for small/starting out bands and that seems too creatively detached. There are many stories floating around of people who've sent things off for mixing and the mixer has a much different idea of how it sounds.
Maybe it's not the best choice, but it seemed an acceptable risk that we would at least attempt to have it 'look' how we want and it be a bit wonky than potentially end up with something we're not happy with in a different way. The benefit would have been being able to just ship the stems off and make it someone else's problem instead of weeks of being unsure while swimming in the…